What do I need to do to be successful after surgery?
- Low impact exercises can improve your health and lower your risk of heart disease without harming weight-bearing joints.
- Walking is a great place to start since you do not need any fancy equipment, just a good pair of walking sneakers. Other popular low-impact exercises include step aerobics, stretching, cross-country ski machines, rowing machines, cycling, swimming, aqua aerobics, Pilates, and yoga.
- Start with 2-3 days a week of your chosen activity with a rest day in between workouts.
- You may only be able to exercise for a few minutes at a time when first beginning, but with consistency, that will gradually change.
- Each week, try increasing your workouts by a few minutes until you can work out continuously for 30 minutes a session.
- After 4-6 weeks, try adding another day of exercise, and/or increasing your pace/intensity, and increasing the amount of time you exercise.
- Exercising for 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week is the best way to improve your heart fitness. Exercising longer (up to 60 minutes) is more helpful in weight reduction.